Today’s businesses, particular start-ups, are always looking for new and different ways of doing things. Upending traditional workplace attitudes can have a real difference on the culture of a business. For example, forty years ago, nobody would have dreamed of including slides in their workplace! Today’s business leaders are always looking for alternatives to the norm. If you’re looking to save your business money and change your way of doing things, you may have heard that some businesses are renting, rather than buying, used office furniture.
Now, there have been some great innovations in the past few years. Living walls, hot-desks, collaborative working spaces and the ability to work in your own way have delivered great benefits to all kinds of offices. However, choosing to rent your office furniture isn’t a choice that we see as having too many (if any) benefits to your workplace.
Renting Office Equipment Vs Buying Used Office Furniture in the UK
It’s easy to see where the thought has come from. The ability to quickly change or adapt working spaces is an essential part of most modern businesses. Many start-ups choose to work in collaborative spaces or share offices with other businesses while they get started. This can be a great way of saving money, especially in the early stages of a start-up. It can also be a practical choice for small teams who may not need an entire office to themselves.
What Makes Renting Office Furniture an Attractive Option?
If you’re a start-up, or a small team, then renting office furniture may seem practical. Just some of the benefits that you might see in furniture renting include:
- Convenience – Thanks to renting, you may be able to get furniture for your office extremely quickly. You could move into your new office space and, within a day or two, have it fully furnished with all the equipment that you need. As such, renting can appear to be a convenient solution for your office’s needs.
- Allows for Greater Flexibility – “By renting equipment,” you think, “you’ll be able to dynamically adapt your workplace as required. Removing desks, or adding new equipment, could be done in just a few short hours, letting us change our layout as we need.”
- Low Costs – Renting office furniture can be a fraction of the cost when compared to buying new equipment. Desks, chairs and other equipment are essential but can make a dent in your start-up funding. In many cases, finding an office to suit you is hard enough. You need to spend your money on research and development, growing your team and delivering the best possible service.
Renting office furniture, then, can appear to be a practical solution. It’s exactly the kind of thing that modern start-ups may be considering. As a theory, it is great. However, reality can have a serious impact on even the best theories. If you’ve never ran a business before, it can be easy to get excited by new ideas. You need to be able to rationally balance the benefits and realities of a new idea for your start-up.
What Are The Problems with Renting Office Furniture in the UK?
Here at Penningtons, we know that buying office furniture offers a range of benefits compared to renting. Just some of the problems that we’ve seen start-ups and businesses encounter with furniture renting include:
- Unreliable Furniture Renters – Companies that rent out furniture are not always at your beck-and-call. They have other clients, other priorities and staffing limitations. As such, they can often delay delivering or collecting furniture for weeks or months at a time. This can lead to serious delays and problems throughout your business.
- Increased Costs – While renting office furniture for a few weeks or months may be cheaper than purchasing your own, this will not stay the same. Having to pay out every month can quickly take over the actual cost of the furniture. This can leave you spending more money than you needed to.
- Limited Furniture Availability – When you rent furniture, you will only be able to choose from your providers’ limited selection. If you require a certain type of desk, and your renter doesn’t have one available, then you are stuck. This can be a common problem regarding couches, waiting area seating and meeting tables.
- Deposit Considerations – When you rent office furniture, you will need to pay a deposit in the event that these pieces become damaged. Even something as simple as a coffee stain can lead to the loss of your deposit. Not only will you need to be extra careful around the furniture, you are also having to pay out a great deal up front.
Is Renting Furniture Really Right For You?
As you can see, the risks of renting office furniture far outweigh the benefits that you could enjoy. In our experience, the best thing for a start-up or new business to do is purchase used office furniture. Used office furniture is available at a fraction of the cost of new equipment and is ideal for office spaces of all kinds.
Why Should I Buy Used Office Furniture?
Used Office furniture offers a diverse range of benefits over renting. Here at Penningtons, we are proud to be the North-West’s leading provider of used office furniture. Just some of the benefits that you’ll be able to enjoy with used office furniture include:
- Cost-Effectiveness – Used office furniture is much cheaper than purchasing newer models. You could get high-quality equipment to suit your office space at a fraction of the cost of buying new. Thanks to used office furniture, you can save money and still take advantage of high-quality furniture.
- Treat It How You Like – Unlike rented furniture, you can treat your office equipment as you please. Whether you spill coffee, break a chair leg or mark a standing screen, it doesn’t matter. You won’t need to lose your deposit on the furniture and are free to repair / replace the furniture at your convenience.
- Long-Term Investment in Your Business – By choosing to buy office furniture and equipment, you are committing to your business. If you look after your furniture, you’ll be able to rely on it for many years. This way, you can save money and ensure that you are able to work in comfort.
- A Variety of Furniture – Here at Penningtons, we are able to provide a diverse range of furniture to suit your office’s needs. In addition to desks and office chairs of all kinds, we can provide:
- Room Dividers and Screens.
- Cubicle Walls and Partitions.
- Storage, Drawers and Cabinets.
- Meeting Room Furniture.
- Waiting Room Furniture.
- Dining / Canteen / Kitchen Furniture.
- And Much More!
Used Office Furniture For Your Business
Whether you’re working from a shared space, a small office or you’re moving into a new property, used office furniture can deliver a wide range of benefits. This furniture can also be easy to move to new spaces as and when you please. You won’t need to wait for your furniture rental company to pick them up, giving you more flexibility than ever before.
When you move beyond the furniture you’ve purchased or if your start-up, unfortunately, fails to take-off, you can simply sell the furniture. This can be a good way of recouping some losses which, if you’d rented, wouldn’t have been available.
For a Wide Range of Used Office Furniture in the UK, Call Penningtons Today
Here at Penningtons, we are proud to offer a diverse range of used office furniture and equipment in the UK. Our team only sell high-quality office furniture which is either like-new or has been refurbished to a high-quality. Based in the North-West, we are able to deliver a complete range of matching furniture to suit your needs.
Whether you’re a start-up, or an established business looking for new or used office equipment, get in touch today. You can call our specialist team directly on 0800 688 9018 to discuss your needs today. If you have any questions or concerns, simply use our simple online contact form, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.